Yacht registration in Malta is a very straightforward process. Building on its long and varied maritime tradition, Malta, a member of the European Union, has today established itself as one of the leading maritime hubs and service centers in the Mediterranean region. Placed to become an international center of excellence in the maritime industry, the Island offers a whole range of international maritime services and facilities as part of a comprehensive package for the maritime industry.
Malta offers numerous benefits to yacht owners who choose to register their vessels under the Malta flag. Any type of marine vessel, be it large cruise lines, supertankers or private yachts may be registered in Malta. Yachts, depending on their intended use, can be registered under the Maltese flag, as private pleasure yachts or commercial yachts.
Why chose the Malta flag?
Whether the vessel is a Private or a Commercial Yacht, the yacht registration process for a Maltese Flag is easy and simple. With a Maltese Flag, the Yacht owner can avail to a list of advantages, inter alia:
- Low company formation and registration cost.
- Complete tax exemptions, and benefits for owners, charters, and financiers of Maltese yachts.
- No restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew, serving on Maltese vessels.
- No restrictions on the nationality of shareholders and directors of Maltese shipping companies.
- No restrictions on the sale and mortgaging of Maltese yachts.
- No trading restrictions.
- Preferential treatment for Maltese yachts in certain ports.
- Serious and efficient maritime administration.
- Flag state inspectorate to ensure adherence to international standards.
- Easy access to decision-makers within the competent authorities, backed by a qualified and efficient team of technical officers available for urgent matters on a 24- hour basis.
- Sound multilateral and bilateral relations.
- Active participation in international shipping fora.