When it comes to cruising in the Mediterranean Sea and visiting the charming little villages along the coast is doubtless a dream of all yacht lovers where a yacht owner or seller will guide you that there are more to owning a yacht than what meets the eye. The next step after acquiring your yacht will be to register the vessel under a flag of a jurisdiction. As a yacht owner, it is in your best interest to choose a jurisdiction which is fiscally competitive and highly accessible, yet reputable.
Building on its long and varied maritime tradition, Malta, a member of the European Union, has today established itself as one of the leading maritime hubs and service centers in the Mediterranean region. Placed to become an international center of excellence in the maritime industry, the Island offers a whole range of international maritime services and facilities as part of a comprehensive package for the maritime industry.
Malta has also developed a very strong legal and regulatory platform that has enabled the Malta flag to become a reputable international ship register which is now established as one of the largest in the world.
Income Tax Exemptions
- A shipping organisation is exempt from tax on any income derived from shipping activities and any income or gains derived from the sale or other transfer of a tonnage tax ship or from the disposal of any rights to acquire a ship which when delivered or completed would qualify as a tonnage tax ship. “Shipping activities” comprises the international carriage of goods or passengers by sea or the provision of other services to or by a ship as may be ancillary thereto or associated therewith including the ownership, chartering or any other operation of a ship and includes also ship management activities of a ship manager.
- Any gains arising upon the liquidation, redemption, cancellation, or any other disposal of shares, securities or any other interest, including goodwill, held in any licensed shipping organisation owning, operating, administering or managing a tonnage tax ship while she was a tonnage tax ship are exempt from tax in Malta.
- No Malta tax is charged upon any payments of interest or other income in relation to the financing of the operations of shipping organisations or the financing of any tonnage tax ship.
- No tax is chargeable upon dividends distributed by a shipping organisation to its shareholders, out of profits derived from shipping activities.
VAT-Efficient Finance Leasing Structure
In February 2019, the Commissioner for Revenue revisited the VAT treatment of pleasure yacht leasing to better reflect EU’s development and practices. The updated guidelines offer yacht owners the possibility of setting up attractive operational lease models, resulting in cash flow advantages and overall VAT optimization.
The guidelines are based on the principle of ‘use and enjoyment’, whereby Malta VAT at the standard rate of 18 per cent is charged on the portion of the lease covering the actual use and enjoyment of the yacht within EU waters, whereas no VAT is applicable when the yacht is effectively used and enjoyed within non-EU or international waters. The application of such principle therefore implies that the overall VAT incidence shall depend on the whereabouts of the yacht. In order to apply such VAT treatment, several general conditions and anti-abuse measures need to be satisfied, including:
- Lessor must be registered for VAT purposes in Malta;
- Lessee must be a non-taxable person; in other words, the yacht must be used by the lessee for non-business purposes;
- A yacht leasing agreement must be entered into between the lessor and the lessee, which agreement must be at arm’s length and presented to the VAT Department;
- Written approval on the application of the effective use and enjoyment principle must be obtained from the VAT Department;
- Yacht must be in Malta at the beginning of the lease term. Lessor must gather from the lessee reasonable documentary and/or technological data to determine the actual use and enjoyment of the pleasure boat within and outside EU territorial waters.
The Yacht Leasing scheme of Malta still remind the same with a small update of showing a proof of stay outside the European Union. With the updated guidelines, just a pre-determined rate according to the size of the yacht, will not be considered in calculating the VAT of the yacht.
Malta offers numerous benefits to yacht owners who register their vessels under the Malta flag. Any type of marine vessel, be it large cruise lines, super tankers or private yachts may be registered in Malta. Yachts, depending on their intended use, can be registered under the Maltese flag, as private pleasure yachts or commercial yachts.
Weather the vessel is a Private or a Commercial Yacht, the registration process for a Maltese Flag is easy and simple. With a Maltese Flag the Yacht owner can avail to a list of advantages, inter alia,
- Low company formation and registration cost
- Complete tax exemptions, and benefits for owners, charters and financiers of Maltese yachts.
- No restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew, serving on Maltese vessels.
- No restrictions on the nationality of shareholders and directors of Maltese shipping companies.
- No restrictions on the sale and mortgaging of Maltese yachts.
- No trading restrictions.
- Preferential treatment for Maltese yachts in certain ports.
- Serious and efficient maritime administration.
- Flag state inspectorate to ensure adherence to international standards
- Easy access to decision-makers within the competent authorities, backed by a qualified and efficient team of technical officers available for urgent matters on a 24- hour basis.
- Sound multilateral and bilateral relations
- Active participation in international shipping fora.
Eligibility for registration
All types of vessels, from pleasure yachts to oil rigs, including vessels under construction, may be registered, provided that, inter alia, they are wholly owned by legally constituted corporate bodies or entities irrespective of nationality, or by European Union citizens.
The formation of a Maltese company is a straightforward operation as there are no nationality requirements as to both the shareholders and directors.
As a rule, trading ships of 25 years and over are not registered although in certain circumstances this may be considered.
Ships of 15 years and over are required to undergo successfully an authorized flag State inspection prior to provisional registration.
Ships of 10 years and over but under 15 years are required to undergo successfully an inspection by an authorized flag State inspector before or within one month of provisional registration.
Benefits of flying a Maltese Flag:
Once successfully registered under the Malta flag, a yacht can also benefit from the excellent international repute of the flag, which is further enhanced by Malta’s membership within the European Union.
- Yachts may be registered on behalf of legally constituted corporate bodies or entities irrespective of nationality.
- Twenty-four hour, seven days a week service in response to urgent matters.
- Low company formation, ship registration and tonnage tax costs
- Maltese law provides for registration of yachts that are being built or equipped.
- Attractive tax incentives to yachts and superyachts owners encouraging commercial operation.
- No restrictions on the sale or mortgaging of Maltese registered yachts and superyachts.
- A dynamic registration with one of the largest ship registers in the world and very active in EU for and international organization such as the IMO.
- A sovereign state, member of the European Union with political, fiscal and social stability.
- The registration of a body corporate in Malta to own or operate a ship is a relatively straightforward operation and Maltese ship-owning companies operate in a relatively restriction-free environment. For example:
- There are no trading restrictions and there is preferential treatment to Maltese Ships in certain ports.
- There is a complete tax exemption to owners, charterers, and financiers of Maltese or Community (including EEA) ships of over 1,000 net tons (exempted ships).
- Furthermore, no tax is payable on dividends paid to the shareholders.
SMM Group focuses its expertise for any Yacht owner to obtain a Maltese flag hassle free and by providing all supported legal services through and fort.