Maltese government provides the possibility to attain Citizenship by Investment under the Malta Individual Investor Programme, thereby providing a gateway to access all the rights as a Maltese and European Union national.
The Individual Investor Programme (IIP) grants Maltese Citizenship to those High Net Worth Individuals who successfully went through a rigid and thorough due diligence process and who prove to be of good standing and repute. Once approved, the applicant and dependents will be able to freely reside, study and set up business in Malta and in any European Union Member State.
Acquiring Maltese citizenship is that it takes only 12 months, with the e-residence card to be received in a few weeks after submission of application. Such card grants Maltese Residency and visa-free access to all Schengen member states.
Benefits of being a Maltese Citizen:
- The right to live, work and study in any of the 27 EU countries and Switzerland.
- Travel visa-free (or visa on arrival) to 182 countries, including the US, UK and Canada.
- World’s strictest due diligence standards and vetting of applicants, thus ensuring only highly respectable applicants will be admitted.
- Citizenship of a well-respected EU country.
- Reasonable contribution and an efficient application process.
- Malta is an attractive place to live or to own a second home and is strategically located with excellent air links.
- Tax Residency: Source & Remittance based taxation only. No wealth Tax. No asset Reporting. No inheritance Tax.
Individual Investor Programme Requirements:
Malta’s Individual Investor Programme, that allows every individual and the families to receive Maltese citizenship based on a contribution to and investment in Malta, has the following requirements:
- Contribution: The main applicant is required to contribute €650,000 to the Maltese Government, which is deposited in the National Development and Social Fund.
- Investment into Real Estate: To lease a property in Malta for a minimum value of €16,000 per annum, or purchase property for a minimum value of €350,000.
- Investment in Government Bonds: Also, the applicant must acquire €150,000 worth of Government Bonds or bonds/ securities listed on the Malta Stock Exchange.
The property and the bonds/securities must be held by the main applicant for a minimum period of 5 years after which the applicant may choose to liquidate assets while still retaining Citizenship.
Also, read our article on how to achieve a Positive Application while applying for a Citizenship by Investment Programme of Malta and learn the main tips which you need to know before applying for the program.